Saturday, February 11, 2006

Closing Remarks .... or so I thought....

It has only been a week since I started this, but the things I found out are remarkable. I found more pictures that Robert had taken in the Dartmoor Archive and discovered that his Dartmoor Pictorial Records were republished in 1986 by his granddaughter, Lady Sylvia Sayer. I found the name and address of the Chemical Company that Mary's father, Charles F. Burnard co-owned: Burnard and Alger Limited, Cattedown Wharves, Plymouth (1886-1917). And a reference to the fact that he was on the Executive Committee of Smeaton's Tower.

I discovered two relevant family trees that helped me go back further in time than ever before. Back to John Burnard of Laneast, born in 167o - no less! One by Roger Sando and the other by the Wotton family - a big thanks to them! Perhaps I can return the favour with some of these pictures. By the way, the connection to the Wotton family dates back to 1826, when Eliza Burnard (a sister of Mary's dad) married Hampden Wotton of Plymouth.

But, as with all good research - it raised more questions than answers. I came across at least two other branches of the Burnard Family: One that left for Adelaide, Australia in 1839 headed by Robert Burnard, a portrait painter. Could Robert the photographer have been inspired by Robert the painter? Certainly places like Laneast, Altarnun, Lewannick and Launceton are very close to each other. I also spot a certain family resemblance, so my bet is that they are related. Another branch of Burnards in the USA lived in Ohio . Were all three lines related, perhaps ?? Are there more in Canada and South Africa, as the Burnard blog on this site suggests? Some other time ...

For now, I will wait to see what other material turns up and post it as it comes along. The next mission will be to find out what happened to Robert in the USA - hopefully in time to tell Gerda.

1 Comments:

Blogger Okka said...

I am a descendant of Hampden Wotton and Eliza Burnard. Their granddaughter, Eliza Wotton, moved to Australia where my mother was born. My brother, Mark, is presently in Devon trying to fill in gaps in the Wotton line. He will join me later in the US where I now live.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home